Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Still Skating

Not quite two years ago, my daughter pestered us to sign her up for figure skating lessons. A monster was born. A skinny, graceful skating monster who makes me drive her to the rink to practice.

This past Christmas, she performed in her second ice show. You should have seen the worried face, the wringing hands, the profuse sweating . . .  I was a wreck. Do you know how difficult it is to watch your 11-year-old spin and glide around the ice in front of hundreds of spectators? You can forget about me capturing a clear picture. My tiny, delicate hands were shaking like a leaf. And she was spinning 100 mph. I can't stop motion, people.

The theme of this year's show was "A Country Christmas." I tried to convince my daughter to select a piece of music sung by Faith Hill or Taylor Swift. Maybe something sweet and pretty by Martina McBride or Amy Grant. Oh, no. She got all literal on my heinie. She insisted on Loretta Lynn's Country Christmas. LORETTA LYNN.


I don't know what song she skated to in her group number. Winter Wonderland, maybe? Let it Snow? Was it Silver Bells? I didn't notice because I was too busy watching my girl and trying not to cry. She was born, what was it, a couple months ago, I think. How can she already be 11 years old?



Dinner last night: roasted garlic- and herb-encrusted chicken breasts, garlic mashed potatoes (what's with all the garlic?)

Exactly one year ago:



11 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful! And as a Loretta Lynn fan I am quite pleased with her choice - I'm sure Loretta would be proud to be represented so gracefully :)

Unknown said...

Well done to your daughter on her achievement! I can't imagine all the different emotions running through your body whilst standing there watching her.

Katherine said...

That is awesome that she has stuck with it for two years and still seems to be enjoying it.

Helene said...

Wow, she does look so grown up all of a sudden!!

It must be nerve-wracking watching her on the ice, yet at the same time, super rewarding!!

Traci Marie Wolf said...

How fun. I admire anyone who can do such a difficult physical sport with grace. I tried ice skating once and it killed my ankles. Forget about trying to spin in those things.

Michele said...

She looks incredible!!! Post a video!!!

LisaDay said...

I understand completely. She looks great.

LisaDay

Heather~sheaaa6 said...

Beautiful!!!! A video sounds great!! =]

Unknown said...

She looks great! I love that she wanted to skate to an oldie!

Karen M. Peterson said...

I remember when you were trying to decide whether or not to let her do it. I can't believe that was 2 years ago!

Unknown said...

Such a beauty! Is it bad that I want her waist size? :)