Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Alaskan Palette

When it comes to decorating, I don't know what my style is. I'm partial to Victorian, but I also like Country. I'm very much drawn to Colonial antiques, but I'm just as in love with the clean lines of Shaker furniture. I've been told that when you don't know how to begin designing a room, start looking through magazines and rip out pictures of what you like; you'll eventually begin to see patterns in your taste. This process hasn't helped me determine my style—unless mish mash is a style—because I've got a clip file full of decor ranging from Traditional to Funky Chicken to Modern Minimalism, but it does help me realize what colors I like.

Blue and white.



I don't know if it's my Finnish blood or the fact that I've grown up in Alaska, but I've always loved the crisp white of clouds and snow contrasted against the peaceful blues of sky and water.



I decided to paint my mudroom accordingly.


The walls are Laura Ashley Powder Blue 3. The doors, trim, and accessories are white. Excuse me. The doors and trim are Thalia. I figured "thalia" must be some sort of beautiful, white flower. Nope. Thalia was a Muse. A white Muse, I guess.


I gave this mobile to my husband a few years ago;
the little boats remind me of the 12 summers he spent commercial fishing.


(Winter Birch by Betsy Bear)
I found this print at an arts and crafts bazaar. Perfect.


I like these sparkly snowflakes, so they stay up year-round.




Dinner last night: chicken and cheese chowder, cornbread



Exactly one year ago today:





6 comments:

Katherine said...

Love the color! I'm very partial to blue and white too. Although I tend to do blue-grey or turqouise as my hues of choice.

Love the boat mobile!

Michele said...

Looks fantastic! So crisp and clean...

I have yet to find my palette, or decorating style. Right now my house is decorated in Early Childhood and Old Castoff (we are used furniture magnets - I can't begin to tell you how much stuff we're given because of the number of offspring we've produced). And that's fine with me for now. . . I will finally get the fine furniture when there is nobody around who will stain or break it!

glitzen said...

That's sooo pretty! I love blue and yellow..those are my happy colors. LOL. That print is beautiful. My arctic entry is horses..imagine that!?

Karen M. Peterson said...

I love that blue.

I swear that when I have a place of my very own and I can do whatever I want, I will not have a solid white wall in the entire house.

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

The room is beautiful. I love blue! Cobalt blue is my favorite to be exact.

I think they call the mish mash "eclectic".

Dianna@KennedyAdventures said...

I'm jealous of the fact that you have a
mud room, and the color is wonderful. I love the ship mobile, and the story behind it. How sweet!