Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Giving Thanks

"If you're like me . . . you're perfect."

A tightly-wound woman in a Target commercial delivers that line through clenched teeth and a fake smile as she begins preparations for the holidays. Christmas is a competition for her—let she with the most beautifully decorated home win. She's kind of funny. And kind of scary. A lot of woman get so caught up in creating the perfect Thanksgiving dinner and the perfect Christmas morning for their families that they lose sight of what's really important about this time of year. Note to self: it's not the eggnog.

As I bustle about my house today, making up the spare bed for our weekend guests . . . and pre-making food for tomorrow . . . and stressing out about whether or not to use the convection bake feature on my oven . . . I'll try to keep my eye on the big picture. Tomorrow's holiday is not about producing a table straight out of a Norman Rockwell painting.

Happy Thanksgiving, ya'll. God is good.



Dinner last night: cheeseburgers, seasoned fries



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Kim!

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

Happy Thanksgiving, I have a "Heartfelt Blogger Award" for you. Pick it up at my blog!

Helene said...

That is a very good point! Hope you had a wonderful (and relaxing) Thanksgiving!