Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Just in Time for Valentine's

I'm not known for my green thumb. I've had a potted bulb of some sort that I've been watering for years, but I've long forgotten what kind of flower it's supposed to grow, since I've never actually seen a blossom. It does shoot out a couple of lovely green leaves on occasion.

When we moved to our new house a little over two years ago, I placed the mystery bulb along with a pale, spindly spider plant along the wide sill of a window in the guest bathroom. I secretly hoped that mist from the shower might make up for any forgetfulness on my part in hydrating the poor things.

Imagine my surprise today when I pulled up the blinds that had been lowered for a good month or more, and discovered this lily.

Mystery solved!



Dinner last night: sour cream enchiladas, refried beans, corn




5 comments:

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Absolutely gorgeous lily. We have a few bulbs in a pot in our yard...have had them since college, which equates to at least ten years.

I do nothing for them, but splash a bit of water their way from time to time. Even given my utter lack of a green thumb, the blooms are still phenomenal.

I always feel so undeserving of their beauty, but proudly display them in my front yard. :)

Unknown said...

I am not really into flowers of any sort but I must admit, that lily is a thing of beauty!

Anonymous said...

Lilies are my favorite flowers! I just love them. I only wish they bloomed longer. (well, for me they don't last that long)

Helene said...

That's beautiful!!! What a nice surprise! Lilies are one of my favorite flowers!!!

twinmamabee said...

That is beautiful! What a treat!