Thursday, September 11, 2008

An Evening with Garrison Keillor

We went to see Garrison Keillor last night. So did the entire population of Alaska, if my calculations are correct, as the concert hall was packed to the rafters. It did my soul good to see so many grey-hairs chortling along with Keillor's gentle humor.


I thought you might be totally confused by enjoy this picture taken from my husband's cell phone. No, it's not a shining angel delivering a message from the Lord . . . just Garrison Keillor singing one of his wonderful, quirky songs in his soothing baritone voice.

I'm not a regular listener of Prairie Home Companion, but I have quoted Keillor's writing several times over the years in my scrapbooks and Christmas newsletters. I appreciate his insight into the seemingly ordinary details of life. One of his themes last night was, "There's a lot of human nature in all of us." Without judging or criticizing, he helps us appreciate the bittersweetness of life on this earth through stories of his own experience or those of the eccentric characters who live in his beloved Lake Wobegone.

A second refrain of Keillor's last night is one I pass on to you, my dear friends:  "I wish you all joy, joy, joy."



Dinner last night: cheesy tuna noodle casserole

No comments: