Tuesday, July 1, 2008

With a Spring in My Step

When you discover that you are carrying twins, you also find out that it is important to gain your pregnancy weight sooner rather than later. Because twins tend to come prematurely, it is vital that you gain your weight in the first half of your pregnancy. The benefits are many, including a better chance of delivering big, healthy babies on (or at least closer to) their due date. The downside is you look and feel like you are 10 months pregnant at the sixth month mark. Stop for a moment . . . close your eyes . . . and remember what you felt like that last month of pregnancy. That's right, I felt like THAT for three entire months! The scariest part was not being able to walk easily or without discomfort. It opened my eyes to what can happen as you age, gain weight, and decrease your physical activity; I don't ever want to feel that disabled again.


Two years have passed since delivering my 7.14 and 7.8 little punkins, leaving me with stretched out skin, greying hair, and short-term memory loss. And I couldn't be happier. Not a day goes by that I don't thank the good Lord for the ability to walk. It feels so good to stride! To walk briskly! To pump my arms and book on down the road! I don't just schlep into the grocery story anymore, I strut in with my shoulders back and my head held high. I walk with a smile on my face and a song in my heart . . . I walk because I can. And that, my friends, is a beautiful thing.



Dinner last night: pork loin roast, crispy potatoes, green salad

No comments: